Friday, August 20, 2010

Lisztomania

Today has a weight to it... 


...because it is my last day of work for the summer. But honestly, I'm rejoicing. The lab was completely new and awe-inspiring in the beginning of summer, and I was eager to learn every single last detail I could. But now I find myself in a position where I know the routine and actual lab work is sparse, making my days long and dull. I'll still be working here during the school year, so nothing is really ending except for my paychecks (working in a lab during the school year is "considered part of my education"). 


...because it is my last Massachusetts summer day. I'm heading home in a mere 5 hours, and even though there are technically still five more days of summer until school officially starts, it feels like the end. There have been some pretty great highs, and some pretty shitty lows the past three months. This summer exposed me to an entire new world I'm not quite ready to give up. The thought of schoolwork makes me shiver.


...because of my lack of sleep these past two days, making me a bit loopy and overemotional. I need coffee, stat.


...because I woke up to an empty house. There was no one except movers hauling furniture into the newly occupied apartment downstairs. It's an odd feeling to be the only one in the house when there are four of us sharing the space. My room is also depressingly bare and empty, all of my belongings neatly packed away in the corner, prepped and ready for the move. 


...because I think that my friend is mad at me and I don't know why. Never a good feeling.


Everything comes to an end. So it goes.


"Those were vile people in both those cities, as is well known. The world was better off without them. And Lot's wife, of course, was told not to look back where all those people and their homes had been. But she did look back, and I love her for that, because it was so human. So she was turned into a pillar of salt. So it goes." - Vonnegut

No comments:

Post a Comment