Thursday, August 5, 2010

Frank

Urgh, so my mother called me at work today and we gossiped about the Bachelorette and So You Think You Can Dance. It's honestly the majority of what we talk about these days. And of couse we talked about Ali's final decision - Roberto! I'm really happy that Ali found love on the show, it was suspenful to the very end and I really want sure if she would find someone. But I couldn't help bit wonder what would hve happened if Frank went to go see Nicole and decided that he didn't love her and stayed on the show. I don't know what they are like in real life, so I'm not one to judge but I kind of hate Nicole for Frank leaving. I thought he and Ali had so much chemistry and they were really cute together, minus Frank's growing jealousy halfway through the season. And I think that he was a good guy for what he did. There were some unresolved feelings and he didn't want to commit to Ali before he sorted everything out an I think that's really brave and admiral. My mother on the other hand likened him to Justin - mr. Rated R - and claimed there were all these signs of Frank's infidelity and she doesn't think he is a good guy or a good match for Ali.

While absentmindedly reading tabloid headlines at the supermarket, I learned about Frank's betrayal and I was appalled. Frank was definitely one of my favorites on the show since the very beginning and I wanted him to go all the way. My diagreement on this issue with my mother really highlights the differences in our view of oter people. I still Frank is a good guy and did what he needed to do, no matter how heartbreaking while mother paints him as a bad guy and is glad he didn't advance further.

It was this Frank Debate that mad me realize how different we really are, and it also helped me understand why she was so adverse to my ex. We had huge fights over his character and my relationship with him - she was dead set against it and thought he was a bad influence and not good enough for me. I acknowledged his flaws bit saw all the good qualities and thought my mother was being extremely unreasonable. The question is, who's right? I tend to see the good in people and downplay the bad and believe that most people are inherently good while my mom tends to rake a more pessimistic view of people and it takes a lot for someone to win her trust. Is she being too severe on people or am I being too idealistic and naive?

No comments:

Post a Comment