Sunday, August 8, 2010

Strawberry Fields Forever

Today was quite a lazy Sunday. Woke up late, ate some leftover Thai food, and zoned out to some Super Smash Bros. 64. The highlight was definitely making some awesome strawberry oatmeal scones. I found the recipe online, and besides substituting buttermilk with skim milk (not a nutritional choice, just a budgetary one) spilling more than "just a pinch" of salt into the mixing bowl, and using some questionable flour found in the cabinet, the process went rather smoothly. I cut the butter into the dry ingredients (an intense arm workout, let me tell you) and added the eggs, milk and strawberries to make a sticky, sweet biscuit smelling dough that I shaped into a disc and cut into wedges. My beautiful creations made their way onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets and into a blazing hot oven where they puffed up to perfection. The recipe suggests letting them cool for 10 minutes before serving, but obviously I couldn't wait that long and snagged one off the sheet for a taste. They're not half bad. They're light and tender on the inside, though to me they tasted like biscuits with bits of strawberry in it. Too much salt. Sigh. But I do have to say, between baking these scones and my recent cookie baking bonanza (100+ cookies, 3 different types, 4 hours of baking) my baking skills have improved! Next on the list - blueberry and marscapone turnovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment